Project: “Be involved, be active”
Duration of the project: 1.3.2019 – 28.2.2020
Description: Care and working center Toncka Hocevar is a social welfare institution. We offer help and support to adults with mental disabilities and co-occurring disabilities. We organize daycare and institutional care. Within programs of daycare, adults with special need do different forms of occupations. It helps them to stay active, to develop new knowledge and skills, to be socially included. Daily around 237 adults are attending programs of daycare in 5 different units in Ljubljana. In every unit, there is a team of professional mentors (special educator, social worker, occupational therapist) and working tutors. Inside units work is divided into smaller groups of 15-25 adults. Around 90 adults are living in our residential houses.
Besides the occupation and living, we organize numerous other activities that are offered to our users: we make trips, attend events and various institutions, celebrate birthdays and New Year’s together. We are also active in the field of sports, attending competitions under the organization of the Special Olympics.
Tasks of the volunteer: The volunteer will work in a daycare center and also in residential houses.
- Support daily activities: occupational workshops, sports and therapeutic activities, cooking activities etc.
- Develop new activities: music/dancing workshops, learning of foreign language etc.
- Support daily activities: following up leisure activities, keeping the house clean, preparing meals etc.
Accommodation, food and transport arrangements
- Volunteer will live in a single bedroom in a student apartment in Ljubljana with other volunteers or students, near our center. Kitchen, bathroom and laundry facility will be shared with other volunteers or students.
- Volunteer gets a meal while working and eat with other workers.
- Volunteer gets a monthly bus ticket for transport in Ljubljana.
We are looking for young people who are open-minded and communicative. Creativity, self-motivation and proactivity are a plus! It is desired to have some handwork skills or other talents (dancing, cooking, music, sport). Volunteer should enjoy working with adults with special needs.